Monday, July 9, 2007

La (Not So) Bella Vita...

So, I got stuck in Naples last night. The city really is as sketchy as people say. I was soooo scared. It was definitely one of those things that you never want to actually have to experience...but it all turned out alright. I bought my train ticket to return home in advance, and specifically requested around 8 "nella notta" but somehow I ended up with a ticket for 8am, and didn't realize this until I was in Naples at night, wanting to go home. There were no more trains going back to Florence last night, so I was kind of freaking out. A pair of policemen helped me, and managed to get my ticket changed so I could travel this morning without having to buy a new ticket. I was grateful until the one cop left and the other tried to get me to wait for him to get out of work so that he could "take me to his house". Yeah, I booked it out of there to a restaurant across the street where I sat and decided that my safety was more important than money, and used my Italy guidebook to find a hotel a block away (within running distance haha) and it had ONE room left...but they didn't take credit cards, and I didn't have any cash. Luckily, the owner was so sweet to me-he was this little old man that couldn't speak English but he let me wait to pay in the morning when he could walk me to an ATM, and then sat and gave me lemoncello and talked to me in broken Italian until I'd calmed down enough to want to go to bed. I actually really surprised myself with how well I can speak Italian when I need to. And in the end, things were okay. I caught my train back this morning, I missed a class in the process, but I made it back, and that's all that matters. I'll update more later about the actual trip...because that part was amazing :)

5 comments:

Monica said...

So sorry to hear about your nite in Naples, but your pictures from Sorrento and Pompeii are gorgeous! I understand why it was so loud at the beach now! :) Sorrento looks amazzzzzzing, hope you have a great week and sounds like you have another wonderful weekend planned. Love you!

apoch said...

That cop has some gall. He helped you change your ticket, it's not like he slayed an ogre, a horde of trolls, and a mob of goblins, on his way to rescue you from a dragon. Which in the annals of fairytales is only worth one chaste kiss on the lips, and that's if he brings you the head of the dragon. If he just helps you run away it's only worth, at most, a brief kiss on the cheek.

So helping you change a ticket is worth, what, a thank you and maybe a cup of coffee?

Kari Ann said...

hahaha yeah, there definitely no ogres, trolls, or dragons involved...

Rob said...

Oh Caree', how your blondness makes your life so much more interesting and ours so much more entertained. I had to sign up with google to leave this damn message too!

Kari Ann said...

I'm glad you signed up-I love getting comments :) But, I'd like to defend my "blondness" because I asked for the right ticket in perfect Italian, I just didn't double check that he got it right because I'd already missed one train to Pompei while waiting in line to buy my ticket, and had to run to catch the next one so that I wasn't late to meet Colleen.